Sunday 6 May 2007

LATEST VIBES




ANTELOPE - Reflector (Dischord)

Here's a revised review of this record: Late last year these guys played the Metro In London, a filthy venue for the uninitated. On stage, they proceeded to tear through 'Reflector' and some previous hits with such unexpected fucking venom I felt compelled to simply stipulate that this record, as great as it is, doesn't capture an iota of Antelopes rhythmic presence in reality. Three straight collar dudes, arching through a minimal loaf of purity imbused chargers with a detached confidence I've rarely ever seen played out like that. Really, it was exceptional. This record is good stuff. It may seem half finished in places, but I suspect song structure is far from priority. There's a sentiment to deliver, and it's classic Dischord. A tropical flourish here, a kraut-spiced harmony there, and we're done in half an hour. Feasibly this music is boring, but I beg to differ. So many of the vocal refrains linger in the mind long after, too many grooves hit the hips. And did I hear 'Pop Sensibility'? Unintentional maybe, but I DID. A cracking effort.

No comments: